Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP (Magnetic Couple)
Sep 9, 2011

Dear Dr. Bob,

First I'd just like to say that your website is fantastic! So much great information. So here's my story. I have been in a magnetic relationship for a little while now. I am the negative partner. We are both gay men. Things have been great but we were having sex the other night and the condom broke, I was the top. We immediately stopped after so my exposure was 5 seconds or so. I went to the doctor the next day and started a combo of Truvda and Isentress 12 hours after the incident. My partner has had an undetectable viral load for a more over a year now. Given this combination of factors do you think that it's likely that I will seroconvert? How effective is nPEP in a situation like this?

Thank you, Brian

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, Brian.

Broken-condom anal sex with a positive partner does place you at some degree of risk for acquiring HIV. Your HIV acquisition risk, however, is lessened by three factors:

1. Your exposure was very brief.

2. Your positively charged partner is on effective antiretroviral therapy, which has driven his HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels.

3. Your began a course of post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) 12 hours after the incident. We know nPEP (non-occupational PEP) helps abort HIV transmission/acquisition; however, I can't give you an exact percentage of efficacy, because there are many variables (viral strain, viral load, time until first dose, choice of PEP meds, etc.). You've done everything you can at this point. You should adhere to your PEP regimen and then follow the post-PEP testing guidelines that recommend HIV-antibody testing at four-to-six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure.

You and your Mr. Happily Ever After should read through the information in the chapter in the archives of this forum dedicated to magnetic couples. You may want to consider implementing some of the harm-reduction strategies discussed (starter pack of PEP, PrEP, etc.).

Good luck! Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anal warts transmission (HPV, 2011, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS, 2011)
Next
Fear to death about HIV infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.