Flesh to Flesh

Hi Doc I have just been diagnosed and I started Atripla 3 weeks ago. I am 40yr old lady. I have'nt been sexually active for the past 10 mnths. I understand the importance of protection & making sure I don't infect anyone in future. But I can't stop thinking about, never ever having sex flesh to flesh all my life. Is there a possibility of having sex without a condom & not infecting the other partner ever again in my life? Please bear with me I need to get past this question. Shalom

Hi.

If and when we find a total-eradication cure for HIV, we'll all be delighted to toss out the latex condoms. Until then, however, condoms remain essential. Will there be a cure in your sexual lifetime? I certainly hope so! Check out my three-part blog "The Search for a Cure Heats Up!" Also, stay tuned to The Body. We'll keep you updated on all the developments related to cure and sexual-transmission prevention.

If it helps at all, I can advise the virus found me in January of 1991. Condoms have been my constant companion ever since. There are now many varieties available. Try several out until you find a type that works best for you. Condoms are not ideal, but they remain our best protection against transmitting the virus and you really do get used to them.

Starting soon - a reply
Exposure and symptoms questions