Sex with an HIV+ person

Dear Dr Robert,

Recently i had unprotected sex with a guy that was HIV+. After having unprotected sex, both receptive and giving, he told me. I went to the doctor the next day and the doctor gave me truvada and kaletra, and told me to ask the HIV+ guy what medicines was he taking and how where his bloodcell or count something (cant remember) The HIV+ guy told me they where very low and he was taking the exact same medicines, truvada and kaletra. Whats my risk? I am very nervous and dont know what to do! :(

I cant tell my parents or anyone else, and dont know what to do. On top of that he told me he had gonorrea (anal) and im seeing a little dischage in my penis... Does this increase the possibilities, please help! i dont know what to do.

Thank you

Hello.

Unprotected sex does put you at risk for STDs, including HIV. That your partner has gonorrhea and is known to be HIV infected increases your risk. PEP is warranted. Concurrent STDs, such as gonorrhea, can increase the risk of acquiring HIV. You should advise your doctor you have a discharge and that your partner had rectal gonorrhea. You'll need antibiotic treatment.

That your buddy is on combination antiretroviral medication decreases your risk of acquiring HIV, particularly if his medication has driven his viral load to low or undetectable levels.

The information your doctor requested was (1) whether he was on antiretroviral therapy, (2) his viral load (a measure of viral activity and infectiousness) and (3) his CD4 count (this measures the severity of immune damage).

It is difficult to go through this by yourself. If you can't tell your parents, what about a trusted friend or brother or sister? You could use some support over the next few months. Don't totally rule your parents out. They may be upset, but they will also most likely be very supportive during this period.

From this entire anxiety-provoking episode I have no doubt you've learned that unprotected sex is not worth the potentially catastrophic consequences. Hopefully your story will serve as a cautionary tale for others reading this forum.

I'm here if you need me, okay?

Good luck!

Nurse splashed by inanimate object...
Messing with streethooker