Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Been sick for 11 years ....
Sep 7, 2011

Dr. Frascino,

Perhaps you can shed some light on my 11 ailment .. PLEASE !! There must be some other bug out there .. or some people .. by genetics .. just being exposed to HIV .. triggers an autoimmune disease ... (just google hiv and rheumatism) (has to be... probably why some people on HAART with undetectable V.L. still have declining CD'4... Auto component still active ??? I had a very high risk (prostitute) encounter ... the condom broke ... she made a comment that you need to be more careful .. there all all kinds of diseases out there .. She emphasized "diseases" ... I know everyone says there is no way to have symptoms in 1 day .. well .. I can top that .. within about 12 hrs ... broke out in fever, sweats, then came geographic tongue, followed by RAGING thrush ... foliculitis on both arms .. huge rash on chest .. Went to GP 2 days later .. told him what happened ... Long story short .. Had every HIV test known to man ... all negative ... Have seen every kind of DR over the past 11 yrs .. I finally saw a rheumy .. awaiting results .. ... The funny thing .. I saw an immunologist a few years earlier.. She told me my NK cells were not working ... (Lytic test) She said... "Well that cant be right .. we only see that in AIDS" ... Immune parameters are all over the place and the fatigue is CRUSHING ... What do you think happened ?? Kind wondering if that is what CFIDS is ... being that showed up about the same time HIV did (early 80's)... Someone who was exposed to HIV ... didnt catch it (immune system mounts such an OVERREACTION RESPONSE .. what little HIV got in gets wiped out in the melee .. even though antibodies weren't directed against it yet .. ) ... but it triggered the autoimmune component of disease ..... Been so sick lately ... pushing disability ... AT WITS END ... what do you think I should do ...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

If after 11 years of seeing "every kind of doctor" and having "every HIV test known to man," the rheumatologist still can't find a physical cause for your various ailments, my advice is that you should be evaluated by a licensed mental health professional for psychosomatic disease and irrational fear of being HIV infected.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PTSD
Next
Going to Stop all tests...........May Be getting cure....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.