PTSD

Just writing in to say I identify with the guy who suffers from what GE termed PTSD. I am a sexually active female and have made a few very stupid and perhaps unforgivable mistakes when younger. However, after I wised up, I go for tests just to be responsible. However, I still panic after every time I have sex even when it's protected or panic over unprotected oral. This is compounded by the fact that a family friend contracted HIV from her husband who was sleeping with prostitutes while on business overseas and claims to use condoms all the time.

I spoke to a counsellor once about it and all he said was: "It is a dark and lonely road my dear. It is one you will have to walk alone." I couldn't help but feel like maybe he was right and that I can be very compulsive when it comes to sex sometimes. I will admit I am somewhat promiscuous but I make an effort to constantly use condoms and talk to my partners about their sexual health. I also get regular partners to take tests and then continue to use condoms after their they test negative. Short of abstinence, I feel a little helpless. I feel like I can never trust a partner and even myself.

Hi.

That counselor you saw sounds like a loser to me. I'd suggest you try another licensed mental health professional. Irrational fears surrounding HIV are not uncommon. Just take a read through the archives and you'll see what I mean. Cognitive behavioral therapy (counseling) and/or medications (anti-anxiety/anti-depression) can be very beneficial in helping to confront and conquer problems such as these. It's worth a try. Sex is supposed to be fun, not anxiety provoking!

Getting high on HIV drugs in S Africa
Been sick for 11 years ....