RE: PLEASE HELP -Question for the second time, no reply first time.

Dear Doc,

I had asked you a question and you answered it generously and assuaged my fears. Then Yesterday I found that someone who had protected sex with no condom failure has tested positive (although preliminarily) for HIV. I am petrified because I have similar symptoms and I think I am HIV positive. I paste my previous question. Do you think this guy's case is ultimately going to be negative. many forums and you repeatedly say that sage sex when done correctly does not pose any risk. I am sure many of us are who had protected sex would be terrified after this person's case.

Thanks and I will be grateful if you reply.

PLEASE HELP -Question for the second time, no reply first time. Jul 30, 2011 Dear Doctor, I had two sex encounters with a prostitute in Thailand ten days back. Both times it was protected sex. Before I got the condom on, she applied some gel on my penis to make it work as lubricant. One time she sucked my penis while the condom was on. We kissed gently on the cheeks and the second time we softly touched our lips. Both times before the sex, we had a shower and the last time after the sex I did not have a shower. I did not check if the condoms broke. Apparently the girl was healthy and seemed to be practicing safe sex. I came back and within five days I had a fever of 102 degrees. So far no rashes, no soar throat and swollen lymph nodes. I cannot even sleep these days thinking I must have contracted HIV. I am looking pale thinking why I did not check the condoms after the sex and did not take a shower after the second time sex. After reading all the posts, my impression is that once you have such an encounter, your life is changed forever. You keep on testing for the whole life. I have a few questions for you and would truly appreciate if you could drop a line or two to assuage my fears. This is the SECOND time I am posting. First time I did not have any reply. 1. What is my chance of contracting HIV or/and any STD? 2. When should I get tested? 3. What tests I should do? 4. How many tests I must do to arrive at a reliable conclusion, either way. Thanks for your time for reading this and please please respond.

Hello. 1. Essentially nonexistent, if the latex condoms were used properly and did not fail (break). 2. HIV-antibody tests taken before the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. Consequently I'd advise waiting until then. 3. An HIV-antibody test (rapid test, ELISA, EIA, etc.) with a confirmatory Western Blot test, if and only if the preliminary screening test is reactive (positive). 4. Just one. There are many medical conditions that cause fever. HIV acute retroviral syndrome symptoms generally manifest two to three weeks after exposure. The chances your fever on day 5 was HIV related are a quantum leap beyond remote. Regarding your statement -- "after reading all the posts, my impression is that once you have an encounter, your life is changed forever. You keep on testing for your whole life" -- you should be reading my responses to those chronic testers, not just their anxiety-ridden ramblings! HIV testing is not rocket science. It's really quite straightforward. Folks who "test for their whole life" obviously do not have HIV (That's why they always test HIV negative.) Chronic testers have psychological problems such as guilt, or irrational fear, etc. Take a more careful look at the archives and my responses and I'm confident you'll understand what I mean. Dr. Bob

Hi.

A preliminary test is just that: preliminary. If the tester had no HIV risk or if he used the latex condom properly and it didn't break, the positive preliminary test will be shown to be a false positive. The Western Blot will be negative.

You write that I repeatedly state that "sage sex when done correctly does not pose any risk." "Sage sex"??? Hmm. I like that typo, and it happens to be true. Both safe and sage sex would not pose a significant HIV risk!

Relax Max. The only person "terrified" about this case is you, and your fears are both unwarranted and preliminary.

PLEASE HELP -Question for the second time, no reply first time. Jul 30, 2011

Desperately need your help, please.
RE: Donations continue. symptoms also.