Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Desperately need your help, please.
Sep 6, 2011

Dear Dr. Bob, I have had a terrible anxiety and stress since my last sexual exposure. I can not work at all and whatever I do is only surfing network about HIV infection. 7 weeks ago, while I was visiting germany and I was drunk. I had a sexual exposure with a prostitute there. During all the sexual exposure she had her pants but topless. She gave me a protected oral sex and then a hand job which lasted for about twenty minutes. 2 weeks after that sexual exposure, I started to have ARS like symptoms. I had unusual Acne pimples all over my body, mouth ulcer, felling chilly and fatigue, swollen tonsil ( only the right one), knee pain and muscle pain. All the symptoms has subsided except swollen tonsil and mouth ulcers. I visited a physician and by sampling he found that the cause of swollen tonsil is not due to bacteria.I am extremely worried about possibility of HIV infection. Another thing is that I have dry skin in my anus sometimes. Is there any possibility of catching HIV virus from the contact of my anus and the bed I was ling on ( if the bed has some semen or blood or ...). I tested for HIV 6 weeks after the exposure which came to be negative. It was a HIV (Ag + Ab) test. Could you please assess my risks and give some advice what to do next. I will donate to your foundation ASAP. I desperately need your expert advice.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

I absolutely agree: You have "terrible anxiety and stress since (your) last sexual exposure." What you don't have is HIV!

Protected oral sex and masturbation is not a risk for HIV transmission. Your symptoms are not consistent with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). Your six-week negative HIV-antibody and p24 antigen test is extremely encouraging, but not yet conclusive. I would recommend you seek consultation with a licensed mental health professional to help you confront and cope with your irrational fears about HIV. You may well benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy (counseling) and anti-anxiety medication. I would also recommend you get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark primarily to gain psychological peace of mind. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Multiple low risks but very clear acute HIV symptoms
Next
RE: PLEASE HELP -Question for the second time, no reply first time.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.