Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Uncertaintity of Test an worried
Sep 3, 2011

Dear Dr, First of all I am from Trinidad and Tobago the caribbean.If I was to contribute towards your foundation how can I do so.? What happens to these fun an how the money is being spent. Well this is my second time writing to you as your advice are so profound. My story was that I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend who lately found out a few days after he was HIV positive with a very low viral load. I was so scared despite this was very iresponsible of me. I did not cum in him or anything but I also swallow his semen. Your advice to me was to get tested after 3 months which I did last week and my test came back negative because I really thought I was infected. I am getting sharp pains about my body, under my armpit hurts an as well under my neck hurts as well an some acute belly pains..I am confuse what can be happening to me.Is there anything you can advise me on. Thanks much

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, Trinidad and Tobago Guy.

Unprotected sex with someone confirmed to be HIV infected does put you at risk for STDs, including HIV. The current CDC guidelines recommend HIV-antibody testing at the three- and six-month marks for significant HIV exposures. Your negative three-month test is very encouraging, because the vast majority of HIVers will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks after primary infection. I would recommend you get one additional HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark. The odds are all in your favor that you did not contract the virus from your one-time unprotected encounter with your boyfriend.

Regarding your various aches and pains, they are not worrisome for or suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). I would suggest you see your general medicine doctor for an evaluation of any persistent or bothersome symptoms. It is extremely unlikely these are HIV related.

I would suggest you and your boyfriend read through the information in the chapter in the archives devoted to magnetic couples. You may want to consider implementing some of the harm-reduction strategies discussed there: getting your boyfriend on antiretroviral therapy to decrease the risk of transmission in case of an accidental exposure, having a starter pack of PEP for accidental exposures; PrEP; etc.

Regarding The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, it is a tax-exempt charitable foundation whose mission is to provide crucial services for men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS worldwide and to raise awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through advocacy and education. Donation information and additional information about the foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. There you can read our latest newsletter. Thanks for your interest.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
No seroconversion fears (woohoo!)
Next
Am I negative??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.