Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just tested positive with Core HIV 1+2 Rapid home test kit
Sep 2, 2011

Well, I got my hands on a HIV 1+2 Rapid home test kit made by Core. A pharmacist can me the rapid test since I could not pick my self and test readings came out positive. Remember I am the guy who is currently in a third world country on business that had a Cape Town hooker hook up. I had protective condom sex. Do you know anything about the accurcy on the HIV 1+2 Rapid test made by Core? I seen the test is approved by WHO. Tested positive 6 weeks after safe sex expose.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

A positive rapid HIV test is considered to be only preliminarily positive. You would need a more specific test, such as a confirmatory Western Blot test, before being diagnosed HIV positive.

My assessment of your risk remains unchanged. See link below. If this is your only potential HIV exposure, most likely the home rapid test result is a false positive. I would suggest you get a repeat HIV-antibody test with confirmatory Western Blot if the preliminary result is again positive. Write back with your results, okay?

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Concerned from possible exposer with CSW Aug 15, 2011

Previous
Teeth marks on the penis
Next
RE: your 35 weeks pregnant indeterminate Western Blot response

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.