Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A few questions to put my mind at ease
Sep 2, 2011

Hi, I am very worried right now about HIV, it is always clouding my thoughts and making me crazy.

On March 9, I had unprotected sex with an HIV+ partner, I was the top. I was drunk at the time, and have since quit drinking by the way. I had a negative test result on August 5th.. So would retesting be neccesary for this incident?

Also, just the other night I was fooling around with a guy and while we were laying in bed, he poked his penis into my butt and so therefore some precum probably got into my anus. We didn't have sex, and I removed his penis immediately, but I am still very worried. I have been trying to practice safe sex 100% of the time. Would this be a high risk if he were HIV positive, and would I need to get tested for this possible exposure?

Thank you so much for your time, I just want to know when I can finally move on with my life and stop worrying about HIV.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Unprotected insertive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is considered a significant HIV-acquisition risk. The CDC recommends HIV-antibody testing out to the six-month mark for significant exposures. Your negative tests out to five months are extremely encouraging, as the vast majority (but not all) of HIVers will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood within four to six weeks after primary infection. Good luck! Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
positive moms mixed feeding babies
Next
ARS symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.