The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

risk of infection. A particular case

Sep 2, 2011

dear Dr.

I am a doctor, 25 and HIV positive. Asymptomatic, and treatment. I wrote a few days ago, asking whether it is appropriate that I make a medical specialty such as Internal Medicine. Or if there is a risk of infecting my patients, or whether they can infect me. Or specialty is an adverse condition of my immune status, by the demands which represents the medical residency. I think that it is unwise to make a specialty now, newly diagnosed, but would like your advice for a future plan. Please doctor, advise me.

Response from Dr. Frascino


You report you are asymptomatic and on treatment, but you didn't mention your CD4 count/CD4%. If your counts are good and your antiretroviral therapy is well tolerated and has driven your HIV plasma viral load to low or undetectable levels, I see no reason you shouldn't follow your dreams and become whatever type of physician specialist you desire. Internal medicine is primarily a cognitive specialty (not a lot of procedures) and would not put either you or your patients at risk. Nearly all fields of medicine can have fairly demanding residencies. Don't let that deter you. I'm quite hopeful that by the time you finish internship, residency and perhaps a fellowship and get established in the "real world," a cure for HIV/AIDS will be within our grasp. Don't let HIV spoil your dreams or your fun!

Dr. Bob

Can you take it to the bank?
positive moms mixed feeding babies

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint