Wife stuck by solid needle( HIV + Patient)

Hey Doc,

I'm writing this in regards to my wife's possible exposure to HIV. She told me that while treating a patient last night at the hospital she got poked with a needle that had some of the patients blood on it(Patient is confirmed HIV+. She said it was a solid-Bore needle that poked her, and she said that although it was Red for awhile where the needle had poked her, she did not bleed at all even after trying to squeeze it out. My question Dr. is that if she didn't bleed, is it possible that the needle didn't go deep enough to get into her blood-stream? She said the redness where she got poked went away a couple of hours later. Please HELP we are very scared from this possible exposure. Thank You. Also, the ER doctor disagreed with PEP saying that it was not a significant exposure because he didn't believe the needle broke her skin.

Hello.

I agree with the ER doctor's assessment: PEP would not be warranted. Routine HIV testing now (baseline), at three months and at six months is all that's warranted based on current guidelines.

HIV + partner and PEP
Percentage of People with no symptoms