HIV + partner and PEP

I am neg and have a positive partner and we practise safe sex. I am top and he is bottom. 3 weeks ago we were unsafe and I started a course of PEP. A condom broke on us this past weekend. Do I need to re-start the PEP? Will the PEP dose of Truvada and Zerit act as a PrEP? Is the remaining 6 days of the PEP enough to be somewhat safe or should I re-start the PEP? His viral load on last test 2 weeks ago was undetectable. Thanks for your advice.

Hello.

No need to restart PEP based on your recent condom-failure incident.

I would suggest you and your partner read through the information in the chapter in the archives devoted to magnetic couples. You may want to consider implementing some of the harm-reduction strategies discussed there: starter pack of PEP for accidental exposures; PrEP; etc. I'd also recommend you review proper condom use technique (also in the archives), as condoms very rarely break when used correctly.

Be well.

freaked out
Wife stuck by solid needle( HIV + Patient)