I am 35 weeks pregnant and waiting for results (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE HIV TEST, 2011)

If it wasnt for your website I would had died of anxiety already!!! Thank you

I have only had one partner my whole life, my husband was married for 5 years and then had 2 relationships after that @2007 where he had unprotected sex. I began my relationship with him in 2008 and ever since have been with him. He has never been tested.When I got pregnant I went to my first visit when I was 3 months pregnant and was HIV negative and last week I recieved a call now that I am 35 weeks that they needed more blood because my Elisa was positive and my western blot was indeterminate. I was told I was going to get a call yesterday or today, well I couldnt wait and I called yesterday and again they told me that the Elisa was positive but that she is waiting to get my second Western blot and my viral load test.. I havent got a call today and I am freaking out. Since I have been having unprotected sex with my Husband for years I should have been positive the first time right? When I was 3 months pregnant? I havent been with anyone else and he hasnt cheated... Should I be worried about them two girls? I know he didnt have anything when with his wife because they have two kids together and she is negative.

Hello.

Relax! If you've had no HIV-risk exposure, there is no way you could be HIV infected. It is not uncommon for women who are pregnant (or have been pregnant) to have false-positive or indeterminate HIV-antibody tests! It's due to nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies produced as a consequence of the pregnancy. These circulating proteins can muck up the results of HIV-antibody tests. There are gazillions of examples of this in the archives. See link below for a small sampling of what you'll find there.

I'm confident your follow-up tests will ultimately confirm your HIV-negative status.

Be well. Stop worrying!

I am scared (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE HIV TEST, 2011) Aug 28, 2011

Thank you for your reply just a few notes for the website
MEDICATION TIMING - HOW MUCH PRECISION NEEDED? ( ATRIPLA AND FOOD, 2011) (EFAVIRENZ AND FOOD,2011)