Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am 35 weeks pregnant and waiting for results (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE HIV TEST, 2011)
Aug 31, 2011

If it wasnt for your website I would had died of anxiety already!!! Thank you

I have only had one partner my whole life, my husband was married for 5 years and then had 2 relationships after that @2007 where he had unprotected sex. I began my relationship with him in 2008 and ever since have been with him. He has never been tested.When I got pregnant I went to my first visit when I was 3 months pregnant and was HIV negative and last week I recieved a call now that I am 35 weeks that they needed more blood because my Elisa was positive and my western blot was indeterminate. I was told I was going to get a call yesterday or today, well I couldnt wait and I called yesterday and again they told me that the Elisa was positive but that she is waiting to get my second Western blot and my viral load test.. I havent got a call today and I am freaking out. Since I have been having unprotected sex with my Husband for years I should have been positive the first time right? When I was 3 months pregnant? I havent been with anyone else and he hasnt cheated... Should I be worried about them two girls? I know he didnt have anything when with his wife because they have two kids together and she is negative.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

Relax! If you've had no HIV-risk exposure, there is no way you could be HIV infected. It is not uncommon for women who are pregnant (or have been pregnant) to have false-positive or indeterminate HIV-antibody tests! It's due to nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies produced as a consequence of the pregnancy. These circulating proteins can muck up the results of HIV-antibody tests. There are gazillions of examples of this in the archives. See link below for a small sampling of what you'll find there.

I'm confident your follow-up tests will ultimately confirm your HIV-negative status.

Be well. Stop worrying!

Dr. Bob

I am scared (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE HIV TEST, 2011) Aug 28, 2011

Previous
Thank you for your reply just a few notes for the website
Next
MEDICATION TIMING - HOW MUCH PRECISION NEEDED? ( ATRIPLA AND FOOD, 2011) (EFAVIRENZ AND FOOD,2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.