Thank you for your reply just a few notes for the website

Dear doctor, I am the stressed mother with the park encounter with the gentleman whose partner died of HIV. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and now I feel much better. That is not to say that I will not test again as I do so every few years although I cannot say I have any recognised risks but better safe than sorry as they say. I am just sad that I did not take the gentleman's telephone number perhaps he needed a chat sometimes as he was feeling lonely, no friends no children and he was 65 :(. As I read your website often I was wondering why did nobody think of charging even if one dollar per answer. Then the money could go to helping people that are living with HIV, hepatitis etc and cannot afford healthcare. This site is not like yahoo answers, there are experts and doctors here who provide valuable answers. I am fortunate to be living in an European country where healthcare is free but I am thinking of the millions that cannot afford this and the conditions they are living in, they cannot afford to eat never mind paying for HIV medication. One dollar or a bit more is barely anything and I am sure that everybody who is posting on this website could afford that much. The other question is that why window periods are different for example in the UK now you can test from 28 days with the HIV duo test 4th generation even under the National Health Service. Yet in the US the window period is 3 months. I understand that some people seroconvert later etc....but tests evolve don't they? We also have here PCR tests but they are well expensive :). One thing I do not understand, I know some people lose their heads when it comes to sex but to go and just do whatever and then think oh my god why did I do that and start worrying about STD's is out of order. Especially that some do it repeteadly. Why would you put yourself in these kind of situations I do not understand. People, and especially young people should be a bit more careful surely. From what I read there are many serodiscordant couples. Why can they be careful with sex and intimacy and rarely lose their heads and others who are fit and healthy put themselves at risk unnecessarily? And the other thing I noticed that the ones that are testing the most are the least at risk :). And yes I am in that category. You never know these days who got what illness. People can look the picture of health but reality can be very different. The ones that should really go and have a test and treatment if necessary are delaying it. And last but not least I do admire you a lot, the way you can live and help others when yourself are ill and I am sure there are days when you do not feel fit to get out of bed but you still do. You are an inspiration to many and I hope God will help you and give you health and strength to help even more people. It does count for so many that you are there and have a reassuring word for them. I know it helped me. That is me ranting too much now, guess you are proper dizzy now with my all over the place message. And when are you coming to London? :). Oh by the way did you get married to your partner in the UK?

Hi.

Welcome back to the forum. I'm delighted you are feeling better.

Regarding "charging" for advice, the philosophy here is that this information should be available to everyone, including those with very limited resources. My foundation, The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org), is not linked to this Web site. It's a separate organization whose mission is to provide crucial services for men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS worldwide and to raise awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through advocacy and education. Some folks decide to make a donation to my foundation as a result of my efforts here, but it certainly is not expected or required. Questioners often put something in their post, such as "donation on the way" or "will donate for a response" or whatever. These types of comments do not sway me decision whether or not to respond to a particular question. And, not surprisingly, the vast majority of those promising to send a donation never really follow through. Personally I feel that any donation to my foundation or any philanthropic cause should be made out of compassion, generosity and belief in the mission of the organization. Donations should not be bribes or encouragements to get something in return.

Next, regarding HIV-diagnostic-testing guidelines, yes, this is confusing. Check out my most recent blog on this topic: "HIV Guidelines; Somme Evolve; Some Don't. What Up with That?" It can be accessed on The Body's homepage. Other blog entries address some of your other concerns and comments as well. For example my marriage to Steve. He (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos forum) and I were married in California before the evil Proposition 8 law banning same sex marriage went into effect. There is a blog post about the wedding, "In Sickness and in Health: Magnetic Marriages," from June 23, 2010.

Be well. Stay well. Try not to stress so much! Okay? HIV really isn't all that easy to acquire!

Non sexual potential exposure mother&baby very stressed Aug 29, 2011

Please accept my humble apologies!!!
I am 35 weeks pregnant and waiting for results (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE HIV TEST, 2011)