hiv test results altered by use of acyclovir to treat primary hsv outbreak?

i had oral vaginal sex using a condom with a csw. first and only time, not that it matters.

12 days after, i've been diagnosed with hsv (type yet to be determined) and given acyclovir (800mg 4x day) to limit outbreak.

my risk for hsv was low, but i still got it.

my risk for hiv was low, so now i'm concerned. also, i've read that hsv can assist hiv in infection.

i was tested for all stds including hiv and hsv 4 months ago and was completely clear.

i've had no other partners or sexual encounters since that testing.

i want to go get the hiv dna pcr test to detect as early as possible but i'm concerned the acyclovir i'm taking will alter the hiv test results and provide false negative. i understand i can do another test later at 3 months based on antibodies, but ideally would like to know sooner.

Hello.

This probably shouldn't come as a revelation to you, but I can assure you absolutely everyone who needs an HIV test "would like to know sooner"! HIV PCR DNA qualitative tests are not FDA-approved for HIV diagnosis and not routinely used for that purpose.

Acyclovir would not affect HIV PCR DNA or HIV PCR DNA or HIV-antibody test results. To find out more about HIV-diagnostic tests, check out my most recent blog "HIV Guidelines: Some Evolve; Some Don't. What's Up With That?"

As far as learning your definitive HIV status the same testing limitations and guidelines that apply to everyone else also apply to you.

Non sexual potential exposure mother&baby very stressed
Scared New Graduate Nurse