Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Non sexual potential exposure mother&baby very stressed
Aug 29, 2011

Dear Doctor, thank you for taking time to answer my question. I read your posts from time to time as I ahve scientifc background and I like keeping myself informed. I will try and donate on your website as there are so many people who need this. I am trying not to discriminate anybody and try and be friendly therefore here is my question. A few days ago I have been to the park with my few months old son. On the bench opposite to us there was an old gentleman who started speaking to me and me trying to be polite and knowing that old people can be lonely I listened to him. He was rather far away but then he wanted to come closer to see the baby and he got about 1 m close to us and while he was talking I felt a speck of saliva on my face. Now I worry that same might of happened to the baby. I need to mention that the gentleman has just been to the dental hygienist for scale and polish and that he was saying that he is lonely as his partner died 20 years ago from HIV and that he never had a test since. He had terrible eczema all around. He was a nice gentleman and I did not wish to upset him by not talking to him but now my friends I should of not as I could of eposed both of us to the virus. I know it is not a way of transmission by casual contact, but what if he had blood in his saliva would it be enough to infect a baby considering their small size if a speck of saliva got on the baby? I am really stressed about this now I would appreciate your reply Thank you Mother&baby potential exposure very stressed forgot to add something (Submitted Aug 28, 2011) Hi Doctor, just forgot to mention in my previous post that in case saliva mixed with blood fell let's say on my baby's mouth or eyes from the person I was speaking to as he was close to the pushchair and he appeared to be a wet talker as I felt a speck of saliva on my face around my mouth. Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

The HIV-acquisition risk for you and your baby from the scenario you describe is completely nonexistent.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Words of caution to others and a final thank you from the cyber-chondriac who cant spell chondriac
Next
hiv test results altered by use of acyclovir to treat primary hsv outbreak?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.