please help me, my life has stopped!!

Hello Dr. I live with an HIv positive roomate, well abput 3 weeks ago he was eating lunch and he had gone to the dentist earlier that day. The deal is that, he left the fork on the table. the when i was cleaning around i accidentally stuck the fork in my hand, and it bled!!!!! his contact with this was more than 12 hours before I cut myself with it. What scares me is that he had been playing (with his mouth) with the fork after eating. I am now desperate, cant eat, sleep... I have a monogamous relation with a long time girlfriend, im afraid to have sex with her and give her the virus in case i contracted it. I have had stuffy nose, a little headache.. and pain in my legs (spasms) especially when i wake up in the morning and at some times during the day, i have not had diarreah or fever (37.2 has been my highest) as I have been taking it constantly... I am scared. Please help me. This is even affecting my relationship with the person I love, she believes im crazy, PLEASE HELP!!

Hi.

Your girlfriend thinks your crazy??? Well actually, I agree with her. Your fears are totally irrational and completely unwarranted. The HIV-acquisition risk from getting "forked" is nonexistent (assuming forked is spelled correctly). If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to put these irrational fears permanently to rest, you should seek help from a licensed mental health professional. By the way I don't think you're a totally looney tunes bat-shit crazy fluffernutter, just mildly nutty. HIV doesn't live very long outside the body, so stop worrying, okay?

hiv and nasal cavity
Lab Work and Starting Medication