Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please help me, my life has stopped!!
Aug 27, 2011

Hello Dr. I live with an HIv positive roomate, well abput 3 weeks ago he was eating lunch and he had gone to the dentist earlier that day. The deal is that, he left the fork on the table. the when i was cleaning around i accidentally stuck the fork in my hand, and it bled!!!!! his contact with this was more than 12 hours before I cut myself with it. What scares me is that he had been playing (with his mouth) with the fork after eating. I am now desperate, cant eat, sleep... I have a monogamous relation with a long time girlfriend, im afraid to have sex with her and give her the virus in case i contracted it. I have had stuffy nose, a little headache.. and pain in my legs (spasms) especially when i wake up in the morning and at some times during the day, i have not had diarreah or fever (37.2 has been my highest) as I have been taking it constantly... I am scared. Please help me. This is even affecting my relationship with the person I love, she believes im crazy, PLEASE HELP!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Your girlfriend thinks your crazy??? Well actually, I agree with her. Your fears are totally irrational and completely unwarranted. The HIV-acquisition risk from getting "forked" is nonexistent (assuming forked is spelled correctly). If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to put these irrational fears permanently to rest, you should seek help from a licensed mental health professional. By the way I don't think you're a totally looney tunes bat-shit crazy fluffernutter, just mildly nutty. HIV doesn't live very long outside the body, so stop worrying, okay?

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv and nasal cavity
Next
Lab Work and Starting Medication

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.