Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv and nasal cavity
Aug 27, 2011

hi ive been an avid reader of this website. im 18 and gay. i just wanna ask a question. i have constant post nasal drip and we tried almost every med available but nothing worked. i have tornwaldts cyst/nasopharyngeal cyst so my doctor suggested that i undergo and operation because he suspected that this mi9ght be the cause of the post nasal drip. so last june 2010 i had and endoscopic surgery. they inserted the instruments for operation through my nose. the doctor explained to me that he'd remove the cyst and make a hole outside the cyst so that the infection/secretion from it would drain. it's been a year after the operation and i still get the same symptoms , in other words, nothing changed. still have post nasal drip and occasional sore throat. so my questions are:

1.) can i still perform oral sex without a condom on and have the same amount of risk a person who didnt undergo the operation? i mean, yes, i know giving oral sex without protection have a risk also but it's very low right?

2.)do i have higher risk because of the hole made outside the cyst? or that closed already through time? will it get infected when i perform oral sex to a guy? i mean, im scared because cum/precum might go inside that hole and std/hiv virus might enter that hole and i might get and infection or hiv/std.

3.)will it still be safe for me to deep throat a guy besides having that hole outside the cyst?

4.)i get occasional sore throat at times. like i get sore throat in the morning but it usually goes away in the afternoon. is it okay for me to perform sex like that afternoon even though i had sore throat in the morning?

5.) is it okay to give someone a blowjob even though i have post nasal drip?

6.) and is it true that brushing your teeth before oral sex is not advisable because it causes small wounds in your mouth? if yes? how many hours should i wait before giving someone a blowjob?

obviously, that hole makes me paranoid! :( i havent came back to that doctor because i got tired of spending so much money on meds and nothing's working.

i asked a doctor through email also and she told me that that i can get infected with any disease like STI,HIV most specially that you have an opening inside the nasal cavity.

it's kinda confusing because when i read about std/hiv risk when performing oral sex, they dont mention about having good nasal cavity health. and i is our nasopharynx and mouth that near to make cum go inside that hole?

please dont tell me to use a condom when performing oral sex my concern is do i have higher risk because of the operation?

i hope you could answer my questions one by one because i am really paranoid about it. i cant give my partner pleasure because of it. thanks in advance :))

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

1. Your HIV-acquisition risk would be the same. I know you're only 18, but you do understand that when giving a blow job the tallywhacker goes in your mouth and not up your nose, right?

2. Without examining you, it's difficult for me to answer this question with 100% certainty. Have your doctor review the anatomy with you. If the hole has closed or is no where near your "action zone," you should have the same HIV risk as anyone else.

3. Same answer as above.

4. Yes, assuming the sore throat is due to post-nasal drip (noninfectious). (By the way just how much oral sex are you having anyway?)

5. Yes.

6. Yes, four hours should be plenty of time.

You don't want me to tell you to use a condom when performing oral sex? Okay, I won't. However, you state "that hole makes me paranoid." One way around that uncertainty would be to use a condom for oral sex, but I won't even mention it, okay?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Need to know
Next
please help me, my life has stopped!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.