Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

STUDIES ON ORAL SEX...Your thoughts???? (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX, 2011)
Aug 25, 2011

Dr. Bob, I have been reading your forum consistently for that last several years. One of the most prominent questions that continue to be asked is regarding oral sex exposures. I notice that your website follows/adheres strictly to CDC guidelines (in relation to risk factors concerning HIV transmission and acquisition). You regularly and consistently tell forum readers (who have had a potential risk- anal, vaginal OR oral) to seek testing at the 3-month mark. I agree. However, I am getting frustrated with the amount of misinformation regarding oral sex (passive or receptive) and HIV transmission being overly looked upon as no risk. It still DOES pose a potential risk. A couple websites that are suppose to be considered reputable are no longer considered reputable to my understanding of oral transmission of HIV and oral sex. They are pointing to studies (many of which I have read, and have more holes in them than the Grand Canyon).

One particular AIDS article ONLY studied heterosexual couples (135 individuals- 110 women/25 men)...talk about disproportion! This same study did not include MSM (which in another study with MSM stated fellatio as a probable cause for HIV infection due to drug use prior to sexual contact/genital piercings/current STDs/oral issues [ulcers, abrasions,etc.].... that inflated the cause for oral HIV concerns). The inconsistency between the two studies demonstrated VAST differences in age, sex [MSW vs. MSM], drug use, (inhalants, cocaine, etc.] amongst many more factors. Not to mention that the MSW study gave a projectory estimate of 19,000 oral risks (that was a guesstimate by the study over several years). Overall, the CDC does state that oral sex is a low risk but NOT no risk in regards to HIV transmission {quite obviously due to saliva and its inhibitory properties to HIV). Nonetheless, oral sex, in my opinion, does carry some degree of HIV acquisition (low or NOT). I would very much appreciate your thoughts/reflections on these studies regarding oral sex.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

I haven't changed my assessment of the risk of HIV transmission/acquisition via oral sex. See link below and the chapter in the archives devoted to oral sex. (You and I are in agreement on this issue!)

Dr. Bob

Sex with someone who is HIV+ (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX, 2011) Mar 11, 2011

Previous
How to plan the future with HIV
Next
re: hiv from sex toy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.