I, an HIV neg top had unprotected sex with an HIV positive bottom

Hi, tonight, I was lying on top of a guy and was rubbing my dick up and down his ass crack, then I inserted my dick into him and fucked him, gently and slowly for about two minutes, then i went to put a condom on and while I was doing that i asked him "You are clean right?" and he said "i'm positive" and I freaked out! i went into the bathroom and took a shower, cleaned my dick off really well with soap and now i'm home--still freaking out, am i at a high risk of having just gotten HIV?! what are my odds? should I be freaking out?! Is there a "morning after" pill I can take? WHAT SHOULD I DO?! Thank you -C

Hello, C.

What if your bottom-buddy hadn't disclosed his positively charged status or didn't know he was infected? Would you be at any less risk right now? No, of course not. That is why we must consider all our sexual partners could be HIV infected and take all the necessary precautions to prevent transmission of the virus.

Unprotected sex with a virally enhanced buddy does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. If less than 72 hours has lapsed since your judgment lapsed, you should begin a course of post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). It's not exactly a "morning-after pill," because you need to take it for a full 28 days and even when taken as directed it's not 100% effective. PEP is a combination of two or three full-strength antiretroviral drugs -- the exact same mediations in the exact same dosages that we use to treat HIV/AIDS. PEP is most effective when taken as soon as possible after an exposure. You can get started on PEP at your doctor's office or a local emergency room. Once on PEP, it's a good idea to have an HIV specialist follow your course to manage any complications and arrange for post-PEP testing (out to six months from the date of exposure).

Finally I should note the use of the word "clean" to describe HIV negative folks is probably not the best adjective, as it implies HIVers are somehow "dirty."

You can read much more about PEP and your risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex in the archives of this forum.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, okay?

HIV+ status - almost meaningless?
comment about your answer about condoms