Phase 2 HIV Infection

Hi Dr Bob

Hope you are keeping well. My question is regarding phase 2 of the infection. I see that the only way you can really tell - besides a test is that you have constant pains in your glads/lymph nodes?

Here is my situation - I had a unprotected sex - went on Pep and followed the Pep testing guidelines an tested negative. It has now been 3 yrs since the event and for the last two years I have developed constant pains behind my ears in my neck, under my armpits and in my groin area as well as IBS. I have been tested for everything under the sun since and cannot understand this...?

I am now even a blood donor and donate every two months since passing the Pep testing guidelines - please can I get some assistance on how to proceed?

Hello.

The only way to determine if you have acquired HIV is to have an HIV-specific test. If you have followed the guidelines for post-PEP HIV testing and tested negative out to six months or longer from the date of exposure, you are definitively HIV negative. HIV would not be your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing would be warranted.

I can't diagnose the cause of your various symptoms over the Internet; however, what I can do is advise what is not causing them: It's not HIV (assuming you tested HIV negative per the post-PEP guidelines).

I should also point out the swollen glands associated with HIV are generalized (occurring at many locations simultaneously) and usually non-painful.

Continue to follow up with your doctor regarding any ongoing symptoms. If a physical cause cannot be determined, consider getting a second opinion. If a physical cause still is not identified, you should be evaluated for psychosomatic illness. Stress and anxiety can produce very real symptoms.

hiv from sharing toothpaste
Cop needs help!