Question from a Police Officer

Dr Bob,

Approximately four weeks ago, my partner (errr. police partner that is) and I responded to a call, and when we got there, we found something we were not expecting...

Two gay males were bumping-uglies in a vehicle... suffice to say it was a "little different" than most calls. My partner asked for their ID, and asked if their hands were clean before he accepted them, which they said yes. He then asked for my notepad and pen to jot a few things down, then had them get dressed and get out the car and proceeded to give them a stern lecture.

Now when one male stepped out the car, I noticed that he had a significant amount of baby-batter on one handand I don't know if that is the hand he handed the ID over with. We finished giving them a lecture, handed back the ID's and sent them on their way. My partner then handed me back my notebook.

I was wearing typical leather police gloves. I stuck my notepad in my pocket, put the gloves in my another pocket, and we went on our way. After arriving at the station, I hand sanitized my hands, and when I got home, tossed the notebook and pen away, then watched the gloves and uniform as I normally do.

I forgot about this incident, until approximately two weeks later, when I woke up and experienced a rather severe case of the "runs" all that morning I was running to the bathroom, until about noon, when it subsided. I did check my temperature that AM, and I wasn't running a fever.

I guess the core of my question is was my partner or I at any risk of catching HIV from this? Neither of us touched the individuals, the only possible transmission vector would have been from the IDwhich I suspect if it was covered in something, my partner would have noticed. I guess I am worried about HIV infected semen being transferred from his hand->id->my partners hand->to some other object->to me (Later that night rubbing my eyes, or something getting into a cut, etc). I didn't have any cuts or un intact skin on my hands, at least that I noticed or remember.

As I type this, it sounds rather far fetched. I have read through a lot of your posts, and while I didn't find a scenario exactly like this, I suspect that this would be considered NO Risk? My wife is in the medical field, and she thinks that I have OCD and that it's OOC, as you would say. I guess one reason I'm worried is that two gay men, meeting up in a vehicle for a hookup, with no protection seems like HIGH risk individuals to me!

So in a nutshell, my questions

1.) Was there any risk here? Should I have consulted a DR? 2.) Should I have an HIV test? 3.) I have read that diarrhea is a possible symptom of ARS.. Should I be worried? 4.) Is this OCD that is OOC, or am I just being a flutter nut?

Thanks, Worried po-po

Hello, Worried Po-Po.

Would you have been worried if it were a heterosexual couple pounding their way to paradise in a Volvo in the parking lot of a Baptist church? If not, why not? HIV really doesn't care if you're gay, straight or bi-curious Mormon Republican Tea Party lunatic.

Responding to your specific questions:

1. Nope. Nope.

2. Nope.

3. Nope.

4. Yep, but you don't yet qualify for full-fluffernutter-totally-loony-tunes-bat-shit-crazy status. But worrying that HIV could be transferred from a person's hand to his ID card to your partner's hand to some other object to your hand and then later that night to you via rubbing your eye is really really wacky. Isn't information about HIV transmission discussed in the police academy? If not, it should be!

So, Officer, step away from the paranoia!!!

Be well!

Blog post
condoms extra safe