Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Obsession: Shingles & HPV
Aug 22, 2011

Hello Dr. Bob- I am currently having an episode of extreme paranoia that I contracted HIV in my past. My "questionable" encounter happened over 7 years ago and for some reason I am not just putting 2 and 2 together (I have been tested for STDS over the years but never HIV). I was 18 at this time. I had sexual intercourse with this individual for about a month, both protected and not protected. After we broke it off, a few months later I developed Shingles... which went away with treatment. Sometime after (not sure if months or a year) I received an abnormal pap smear that yeas later showed I had HPV, which has since cleared up. The other thing that concerns me is somewhere around this time I was diagnosed with pleurisy, although I can't recall whether this was before or after our encounter. Either way, 7 years later I have lost my mind thinking about this. It is consuming my life and I have totally convinced myself that I have HIV.

Also, I have always suffered from Geographic Tongue and Tooth Abscess problems... it just seems that everything I have is related to HIV!

Please help! Am I going crazy??

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

So, let me get this straight. Seven years after having unprotected sex you claim to have "lost your mind thinking about HIV" and you have "totally convinced yourself that you have HIV." You've had STD screening during the past seven years, but never had an HIV test! Hmm. Is it just me, or does there seem to be a fairly straightforward solution to your dilemma? Is there some sort of trick question here I'm not appreciating? Okay, with my ever-so-keen sense of the obvious I'm going to recommend the following course of action: Get an HIV test and stop all this nonsense! Frevinsakes! You knew I was going to recommend that, didn't you? Of course you did! When it comes to HIV, knowing is always better than not knowing. Look at what not knowing is doing to you: "I am currently having an episode of extreme paranoia. . . . It is consuming my life. . . . Am I going crazy. . . ."

Statistically the odds are in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your wild carefree ways seven years ago, but the only way to know for certain is to get tested. So turn off the computer and go get tested! The results from a rapid HIV test are available in just a few short minutes. Seven years is long enough to be rattling around in a loony bin. Time to leave the cuckoo's nest and get tested. So what are you waiting for? Get going!!!

Write back with your results, okay?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Exposure
Next
Please answer,WILL DONATE,asked so many times before but never answered.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.