Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Exposure
Aug 22, 2011

I was curious about the possibility of being exposed to HIV. I had unprotected intercourse with a former girlfriend for about 5 minutes under the influence of alcohol. I realized what I was doing and we finished with a condom. About a week later I had begun to have unprotected sex with another girl I was dating but we didn't go all the way. In other words, we gave each other oral and I did penetrate for a maybe minute but we did not finish. We did the same thing the following week and nothing more after that.

Anyway about 2-3 weeks after this possible exposure, I had some symptoms that appeared to be a cold, though it was the summer. I had an itchy throat, not sore (had no trouble eating), leg and back aches, and was coughing mucus. I was also extremely stressed out about some ED problems that was apparently all in my head. I decided to go to the doctor and she told me my risk for STDs was rather low but decided to test me anyway. I'm thinking that was 4 weeks after the possible exposures at the latest. The tests came back negative for everything. My doctor did call and say that my White Cell Count was a bit low at 3800. It has been three months since all this happened and I know most experts would recommend I go shut up and get tested. However, my extreme paranoia has prevented this. I just wanted the advice of an expert and please don't laugh at my paranoia. My question in a nutshell is whether or not a slightly low WBC is a sign of possible early sign of HIV exposure.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

I disagree that "most experts would recommend you go shut up and get tested." Actually "all" HIV experts would recommend you get tested (and probably most would recommend you shut up and stop procrastinating as well).

Responding to your specific question, CBC results cannot be used as a surrogate or predictive marker for HIV disease. You need to man-up, grow a pair, and get tested, okay? Also, stop putting yourself at risk for STDs/HIV by having unprotected sex!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dear Dr. (CASUAL CONTACT, 2011)
Next
HIV Obsession: Shingles & HPV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.