The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dear Dr. (CASUAL CONTACT, 2011)

Aug 22, 2011

Hello again i"m sorry for bothering you this is the second time that i write to you.In a week since you dint reply back i told my boyfriend to write to you which he did today. I went over all the comments that people have wright to you to find something similar like me and nothing :,o( i"m just worried i been stress out i don't enjoy life no more i"m a 25 year old female that just found out that my uncle that lives with us is Hiv positive i love my uncle his like my second father i just fell hurt and mad because he new he was hiv positive for 15 years and never told us till this day he hasn't until this past Tuesday when i went to go see him at the hospital right after he came out of surgery he needed help moving since he got plastic surgery from his face and look like a mommy and wanted to move his head i help him right after i felt something moist i thought it was sweat but it wasn't it was blood i did not see any blood in my fingers since the room was dark because it was 1:33 am right after i wash my hands and check for cuts in my fingers which i dint have any ( thank god ) but i"m worried i wrote yesterday to my teacher a email and explain to her what happen since she was a nurse and know she a teacher she told me there is a risk to go get check and that it takes up to 1 year to come out i started shaking dint enjoy my dinner with the bf i felt like passing out but my bf made some points she is not a Dr. you did not had any cuts ...i cry every day my bf thinks that i fell like this because of my uncle and because i touch his blood PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME YOUR THE ONLY PERSON WHO KNOWS" I FELL DESPRET I"M GOING TO GO GET CHECK IN 3 MONTHS FROM KNOW I"M SO SCARED THAT I DON'T EVEN KISS MY BF OR SPECIALLY HAVE ANY SEX WITH HIM FOR 6 MONTHS PLEASE ANSWER MY DR. :( ME AND MY BF WILL DONATE $30 EACH TO YOUR CHARITY and were do i send it too.. thanks dr. Your a wonderful man" we need more people and dr.s like you!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. HIV cannot permeate intact skin. The information you received from your teacher/nurse is incorrect.

Your uncle may have been reluctant to disclose his HIV status to you because he was worried about how you might react. Considering how you are reacting, these fears may have been justified!

You cannot acquire HIV via casual contact (living in the same home). If you haven't had unprotected sex with your uncle or shared intravenous drug paraphernalia with him, you should not be freaking out. Regarding blood contact, there is a risk if fresh HIV-tainted blood comes into contact with an open wound or non-intact skin.

It's fine to get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark, if you need it to gain psychological peace of mind. However, there is no medical indication for testing based on the information you provided.

I would suggest you spend some time perusing the wealth of information on this site. Pay particular attention to exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. I'll post a link below as an example of what you'll find in the archives.

Stop worrying and please give your uncle a hug from me and wish him a speedy recovery from is surgery. And stop withholding your kisses from your boyfriend! Frevinsakes!!!

Dr. Bob

a question (to do things properly) (CASUAL CONTACT, 2011) Aug 22, 2011

a question (to do things properly) (CASUAL CONTACT, 2011)
HIV Exposure

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint