Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

a question (to do things properly) (CASUAL CONTACT, 2011)
Aug 22, 2011

Dr Bob, i have a sister who has lived a rough life to the point of being homeless and has experienced many hardships..i am allowing her to stay at my home for a couple of weeks until we can find her a place of her own..she has lived rough as i said...my question is regarding blood borne diseases such as hiv and hep c...aside from not having unprotected sex with her (because i know that will be your answer lol)are there any other precautions i should take for myself and my son? can i wash her clothes with ours? should i use a small amount of bleach while washing dishes? (i do not have a dishwasher) she is my sister but because of her lifestyle choices i do not know her well but feel i should help her...my concern is more with hep c because i know that hiv dies quickly outside of the body..i do not want to treat her badly or as if i think she is contaminated or anything, i just want to take the proper precautions..i do not know her status but feel it is appropriate to assume the worst and be safe for my son and myself...i would greatly appreciate any advice you are able to give me thank you so much for your time J

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, J.

Blood-born disease such as HIV and hepatitis C are not transmitted via casual contact.

Can you wash your sister's clothes with yours? Yes, of course you can.

Should you use bleach while washing dishes? No, of course not.

The only precaution, aside from not having unprotected sex or sharing intravenous drug paraphernalia with her, would be to avoid getting her fresh blood into an open wound on you or your son. Visible blood can be cleaned up with bleach. See link below. I am very pleased you have decided to help your sister in spite of not knowing her well and her past hardships. You've just earned yourself some excellent cosmic karma. So don't ruin it by being paranoid about nonexistent risks and making your sister feel like she's somehow a toxic commodity.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Is it safe ? (CASUAL CONTACT, 2011)Jul 14, 2011

Thank You Dr. Frascino- casual contact (CASUAL CONTACT, 2011) Jun 3, 2011

Previous
Still concerned from possible exposer with CSW
Next
Dear Dr. (CASUAL CONTACT, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.