Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv from sex toy
Aug 20, 2011

Hello Dr. Frascino, I am writing this letter as a follow up to previous letters because you are the only person I can/have talked to about this.I am very alone in my life right now,scared and embarrassed about this subject matter. I know you are a busy man responding to alot of letters, but it gives me solace that I can confide in someone,even if I don't hear from you,so thank you for listening.I am the fellow who found a sex toy (rubber vagina) in a plastic bag and took it home and used it in a not too logical frame of mind. 2 weeks later,I came down with the full gamut of hiv infection symptoms,which lasted a few weeks. You wrote back saying my infection risk was minimal,but suggested I get a 3 month test. I decided to have a CBC done just to see if there was anything abnormal or of concern.My WBC total was 4.7 thds/cmm and lymphs were 23%.Bands-0%,Monos-7%,Eos-1%,Basos-0%,Polys-69% Are these values of any concern? Should I opt out for an earlier test? Thank you, and God bless.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello again, Rubber-Vagina Guy.

A CBC test was not warranted. Your results, not unexpectedly, are perfectly normal. CBC results do not provide information related to possible HIV infection.

Earlier HIV testing (within the seroconversion window period) will not provide a definitively negative result, so why bother?

My assessment and advice haven't changed. See link below.

Dr. Bob

re: please help me (FLESHLIGHT FEARS, 2011) Aug 4, 2011

Previous
Confused about neuropathy and ARS
Next
Does my 7 month old infant need testing? (HUMAN BITE, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.