The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I get a PEP starter pack? Young AA male in FL with positive partner

Aug 20, 2011

I am arming myself with information to protect myself and have a loving relationship with my partner. Every time we have sex, we use condoms....however, it would be nice to have a PEP starter pack on hand in case of an accident. Do I really need one? How do I go about getting one in FL? How expensive are they? Are there any programs that help pay for these? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino


I would suggest both you and your positively charged Mr. Right read through the information in the chapter devoted to magnetic couples in the archives of this forum. There you will find information about harm-reduction strategies for magnetic couples, including a starter pack of PEP, PrEP, etc.

Regarding the starter pack of PEP, you could talk with your partner's HIV specialist. He might prescribe this for you. In some situations, depending on the antiretroviral regimen your partner is taking, it might be advisable for you to take a dose of your partner's medication to get started ASAP after an accidental HIV exposure.

Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is another option you might want to consider.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

HELP i hope you answer the first time :)
A Slight New Twist On An Old Question (PANTIES 2011) (PANTY PARANOIA, 2011)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint