Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HELP i hope you answer the first time :)
Aug 20, 2011

DR. if i ONLY had a test 4th GEN ELISA way after the window period (more than 20 months) can i be a 100% sure i DO NOT have HIV? eve when having constant oral candida and pains? I want to feel sure about having sex with someone i love and pretend to marry, i tested before we had unprotected sex since i KNOW this is serious and he is healthy...but after my symtoms and knowing he also started to have joint/bone pain...i am starting to think i may have received a false negative ( i read a fact sheet here on your site from the CDC about false negatives) AND RUINED HIS LIFE....that worries me the most

How many cases of false negatives have you seen after the window period? ( no more exposures and 4th gen ELISA) **the lab tells me they verify results before handling info to the clients, but this means if there is an ERROR they would know before giving the result?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

You want to feel sure about having sex with someone you love and "PRETEND" to marry? What???

I see absolutely no reason you should question your negative fourth generation HIV-antibody/p24-antigen test 20 months after your last possible exposure.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

Although no one can give you an absolute 100% certainly on your single HIV test result, what I can do is advise that false-negative HIV tests are extremely rare. If you remain so concerned that a CDC fact sheet mentioning false-positive HIV test results is "ruining" your life, why not get a rapid test? The result will undoubtedly be negative, and it should put any residual (unwarranted) worries permanently to rest.

Relax Max. All is well (including you).

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please need your help Sir.
Next
Should I get a PEP starter pack? Young AA male in FL with positive partner

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.