Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please need your help Sir.
Aug 20, 2011

I have been coming to your website for last month and you are simply great. I visit your website and I think I am negative and then later I think I am positive. I had two encounters with the same asian girl of unknown HIV status. She applied some gel and then put on the condoms. We had showers before. No deep kissing. Both times with condoms but do not whether they slipped or failed. But perhaps not. This is my 34th day. I had a strong fever on day 5 and then gone. No diarrhea, no swollen glands (are they visible with regular inspection?), no fever later, no loss of appetite (actually eating normal to more), loss of 4 pounds, Don't know about rash (but I have eczema type thing for years and got some real itching during this time on one hand and on lower stomach both sides, but it is confounded may be with the ars rash, does ars rash itch a lot?), white bumps on back of the tongue (getting better with listerine), mild sore throat and congestion. Alot of neck pain for about 2.5 weeks but I have neck problem from before. A lot of stress!!! The worst 5 weeks of my life so far.

What is my chance of having HIV? Should I get tested at all? Should I get tested for other STDs?

Please help. Appreciate your answer

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condoms were used properly and didn't fail (break). HIV cannot pass through intact latex.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Your particular symptoms are not worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).

The primary reason to get HIV tested would be to gain psychological peace of mind. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Regarding other STDs, routine screening for sexually active adults should be done periodically based the level of risk. None of your current symptoms are consistent with common STDs.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Not a question, just a letter to you
Next
HELP i hope you answer the first time :)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.