What is the prognosis of suriving PML?

I was diagnosed with HIV 3 years ago, and started taking Atripla in 2010 when my CD4 count had went down to 148, The doctors including my neurologist have told me that I have PML, however it is responding well to the Atripla (last report July 2011). I had worked as an RN for over 20 years and until 2010 worked in the emergency room, until I became disabled, I can still walk but my memory is not what it use to be. What I would like to know is what is the prognosis? my CD4 count in May of this year was > 600. which is the best it has been. I'm still able to care for myself. I just want to know in your opinion, what to expect or how long to expect. Thank you for such a great web site. My doctors really never explained PML to me they just said it appeared to be responding to the Atripla, your site is loaded with information that is very helpful. Thanks agin.

Hello.

Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) is caused by infection with the "JC" virus. Treatment can be difficult. PML can be fatal in up to 50% of cases, but that also means 50% of PMLers are still surviving. I suggest you plan to be in the 50% survivor group, okay?

See link below.

Progressive Multifocal Leucoencephalopathy (PML) February 5, 2011

HIV risk from receiving oral sex for 2 hours
follow up - Exposure to Blood on Paper Towels