I went on PEP...regardless

I know you are probably crazily busy (answering questions about red spots on banana peels near a HIV clinic)...but I had asked a question a few days ago that probably was of more concern (in my opinion). I received unprotected oral sex from a HIV+ man and was involved in deep throat kissing. Since I was in the 48-72 hour window period...I contacted my physician, who in turn prescribed post-exposure prophylaxis as a precaution. She stated it was low risk (since I hadn't tasted blood during the french kissing ...and the minimal risk of him still having blood in his mouth during his performance of fellatio on me). Since neither she nor I wanted to risk the "minimal possibility" of infection, I was prescribed meds for a month. I hope all is well with you and Steve-O!

J.

Hey, J.

Deep throat kissing??? Hmm. Just how long is that tongue or yours? If it reaches all the way to your buddy's larynx, you must be able to catch flies with that thing.

I agree with your doctor's assessment: low risk. Generally speaking PEP is recommended for more significant HIV exposures. However, in situations like yours where you know your buddy was positively charged, PEP is sometimes "offered" (although not strongly "recommended").

Good luck, J. I'm here if you need me, okay?

you are great!
HIV+ and HIV+