Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ELISA TEST NEGATIVE AND CD4 353 MY PARTNER IS POSITIVE AND WE'VE HAD UNPROTECTED SEX FOR 4YRS
Aug 18, 2011

Please Dr. Bob answer my question this time? I have a baby with my partner and the baby is 3yr now and my partner was diagnose with HIV+ at the time of birth. We've had unprotected sex during her pregnancy. I found out last year that she HIV+. I have done hiv test with the rapid test kit and went for Elisa and was negative up until now. I did CD4 test and my CD4 count was 353 in march and now am so worried what my true status is because I found some lymph nodes at the back of my ear and neck, and 5 days ago I got mumps on my both cheeks, please help me?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

I can't follow your story. You report you have a three-year-old child with your partner and that your partner was diagnosed HIV positive at the time of your child's birth (three years ago). However, you also state you found out last year your partner was HIV positive.

The important thing for you to do is to get HIV tested out to six months from the date of your last potential exposure (unprotected sex). If you've tested HIV negative out to six months or more from the date of your last exposure, you are definitively HIV negative and no further HIV tests would be warranted.

If you are having symptoms ("mumps on my both cheeks"), you should see your doctor for an evaluation.

Regarding your depressed CD4 count, why was this test ordered? CD4 counts are not HIV-diagnostic tests. There are many potential causes for a depressed CD4 count that have nothing to do with HIV.

Dr. Bob

Previous
No question. An apology
Next
Large nodes, lies, and AIDS Phobia. (HIV OMENS, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.