Anxiety is killing me - will donate for a reply!
Aug 13, 2011
6 weeks ago, i was in amsterdam and had protected sex with a female prostitute. she put the condom off and she took it off. sex only lasted roughly 5-7 minutes. i probable penetrated her roughly 20 times. i was very nervous so the sex was a little rough in the sense that i penetrated her hard and fast. Everything seemingly went fine and i did not get the sense that the condom broke as i did not feel any sensation at all at any point during sex. However i am not certain as i never saw the condom after she put it on and i penetrated her
however the day after i started panicking and have been getting ARS symptoms ever since.
- lost about 10 pounds in 2-4 weeks (I'm not sure if this was because i was **** scared for my life for an entire month and panicked or actual ARS) (just to put things into perspective, it is very very uncommon for me to lose any sort of weight - I've been 190 pounds for 6 years)
-loss of appetite (thought it is from anxiety)
-oral thrush - white fur on my tongue
-no real fever (or at least it wasn't obvious to me)
-recently been getting headaches and a sore throat 5 weeks after exposure
-swollen lymph nodes beneath my right ear
- got night sweats but i put that down to the hostel i was staying at where the room had a tempature of 80 degrees (night sweats stopped as soon as i left the hostel (stayed at hostel for 2 weeks)
-fatigued could be from traveling, lack of sleep (<6 hours a night for a month straight and continuing, as well as anxiety
-sore back muscles and aches and pains/tingling sensation all over the body - where lymph nodes are located
Im extremely worried and have been panicking for the last 5 weeks, is it possible i could have gotten hiv or could these symptoms be down to anxiety (I'm mostly worried about the weight loss). i got tested at 4 weeks and it was negative.
Your opinion and advice would be greatly appreciated Cheers
Dazed and Confused
Response from Dr. Frascino
Hello, Dazed and Confused.
Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) symptoms generally manifest two to three weeks after exposure, not the next day! Your particular symptoms are not worrisome for HIV ARS. They are more consistent with anxiety. Your negative HIV-antibody test at four weeks is very encouraging, but not yet definitive. For a conclusive result you'll need to retest at the three-month mark. I'm quite confident your definitive three-month test will again be negative.
Continue to play safe(r) and you'll stay safe(r).
Good luck. Be well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is It Bad To Take Aspirin If You Have Hep C?
- Life Insurance Policy For Hiv Positive People
- If A Man Swallowed His Own Sperm Could He Get Hiv Or Aids?
- Cytomegalovirus And Natural Treatment
- How Long After Exposure Does It Take Hiv To Show Up In Blood Test?
- Chances Of Passing Hiv From Woman To Man
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.