Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused after getting two different answers
Aug 13, 2011

Dear Dr. Bob, How are you? I thought I was free from the fear of HIV when I read an answer addressed by Dr. McGovern on my situation (transmission of HCV through semen in the eye). There, she says that I should re-test after 6 months while you said that my negative HIV test after 3 months was enough. I believe that she recommended 6 months given my concern on a possible HIV-HCV co-infection. The fact is that now I no longer know what to do. As I keep having candidiasis, skin papiloma,low cd4,anal fistula (with no previous history of anal sex), dermographism, parotid gland pain, dry mouth and shock pain in fingers, the fear of HIV returned. I have also had multiple exposures to blood in the eye while working as a dentist, and am afraid that a possible HCV infection may have hindered my HIV test after 3 months. I pasted below the question that I sent to Dr. McGovern just so you can better evaluate my situation. Please understand that this is not a matter of who is right or wrong. This is just a matter that I may have misunderstood something, and I believe that you can clarify.

This is the question that I sent to her: Dear Dr. McGovern, Please answer my question! Im desperate! Someone criminally threw semen in my eye. I tested negative for HCV after 2 months, and also tested negative for HIV after 3 months. As my CD4 is now 312 and my CD8 128, CD4/CD8 1.8, I started to vent the possibility of co-infection, and this explains why I have not yet tested HIV positive in the Elisa tests: delayed seroconversion due to co-infection). Now I feel some liver pain in my upper right abdomen quadrant when I press it. Based on this info, 1.do you think that there is a chance of HCV transmission through this route? 2. Should I get tested for HCV again? 3. Why are my CD4 and CD8 so low, considering that I am HIV negative. Do you think I should also re-test for HIV after 6 months of exposure? I am anxiously awaiting your reply as I very much rely on your medical advice. Many Thanks!

Thanks, Dr. Bob, for taking your time to take me out of this endless torment. God bless you!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

The story you related to Dr. McGovern differed from the one you told me. Is there any wonder that our responses may also be different as well? You advised Dr. McGovern "someone criminally threw semen in my eye." Whereas you told me "a guy came on my thighs after solo masturbation with a tiny drop reaching one of my eyes." You advised Dr. McGovern of your negative HIV-antibody test at three months, but did not mention you also had an undetectable quantitative HIV RNA PCR at 14 weeks!

My assessment and advice based on the information you related to me remains unchanged. See links below.

Dr. Bob

Two incidents haunting my mind Jul 15, 2011

Just to say thanks! Jul 18, 2011

HEP C transmission through semen in the eye Jul 16, 2011

Previous
PN related question : Follow up
Next
Anxiety is killing me - will donate for a reply!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.