Elisa Positve, WB Indeterminate

For the past 9 yrs I've always been tested every 6 mths. And all results would come back negative. For the past 5 years I was in a monogomas relationship with my son's father. We would both get tested every 6 mths (not because of risky behavior, but because I've always been into my health and making sure I was always ok). Every time we tested we would always have negative results. Our last sexual intercourse encounter was July 2010 with our HIV test done a month prior to that and it was negative. Now for the following 6 mth test which was done Jan 2011, MY ELISA test came back Positive, then the WB was negative. Too make sure I was negative I did the HIV RNA Qualitative TMA and that too was Negative. His results were normal. Time for my follow up 6 mth Aug 5, 2011 and my Elisa again, came back positive, this time my WB came back inderminate with the P24 showing Indeterminate and the GP160 Reactive. I'm going in for the RNA Qual again today, but I'm lost for words right now. I'm scared that this is some sort of indicator that I'm HIV positive. My Dr. says that it doesn't mean i'm positve because I have this indeterminate result and that if I wanted I could see the ID Specialist (which I am!) and to repeat in 1 mth. I can't wait that long! I have an infant child and I'm scared. I consider myself a low risk and I never engaged in risky behavior and my last encounter was 13 mths ago, but why am I getting these results NOW? am I positive for HIV?? If I had it, wouldn't my Jan 2011 result been POSITIVE since it was 6 mths after our last intercourse? And I haven't had ANY sexual intercourse since July 2010 so what is going on please help!

Hello.

I agree with your doctor: an indeterminate HIV test does not mean you are HIV infected. You've had multiple negative tests previously and essentially no HIV-exposure risk since your negative HIV ELISA. Consequently there is really no way you could be HIV infected and no reason for excessive concern. There are a number of potential causes for indeterminate HIV test results (positive ELISA/indeterminate Western Blot). The most common is nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies that interfere with the HIV-testing assay. These antibodies can be caused by pregnancy (or past pregnancy) as well as by a number of ailments. You can read more about this in the archives. You report you have an infant child. There is a good chance your recent pregnancy induced the nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies that caused your indeterminate HIV antibody test result.

I'm confident your follow-up PCR tests will be undetectable and confirm your negative HIV status.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, but I doubt you will.

HIV/HCV 6 month antibody negative 36 weeks pregnant HELP!
Oral sex, Ejaculate in Mouth, PEP