Very Concerned About Risk From Oral

Hi Dr. Bob -

I recently had met someone at a bar and went back to his place and he brushed and flossed and I thought nothing of it at the time. After a short while (15-20 minutes) we kissed a little bit and then he performed oral for about 15-30 seconds. I had a small pimple on my penis and stopped him. I insisted on using a condom, but he assured me that oral sex did not carry a risk of infection, plus, he assured me that he was recently tested and was HIV-negative. A little while later we kissed a bit and I performed unprotected oral on him twice for about 5 minutes each time (no ejaculation). I later found out that he worked in the adult porn industry, which freaked me out, though he says he is tested monthly and showed me his test results for last month, which were negative. However, ever since I have been terrified of the possibility of acquiring HIV or another STD. And have been googling information incessantly. Should I consider taking PEP as this contact was only about 24 hours ago? I don't want to live in constant fear until getting tested at the 3 month mark. Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated - I will give a $100 donation. Thank you for your time!

Hi.

You hooked up with a porno star? You stud you! I'll bet more than a few readers in this forum are more than a bit envious of your encounter.

Your HIV-acquisition risk for unprotected oral sex is very low, even with the tooth brushing/flossing and the small pimple on your penis. That there was no ejaculation and that your film star stud-muffin had a recent negative HIV test further reduce the statistical odds of HIV transmission/acquisition.

Consulting Dr. Google incessantly regarding HIV symptoms is not a good idea, and most likely is resulting in increased anxiety rather than calming of your fears.

PEP is definitely not warranted. PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) uses potent antiretroviral drugs, which can have significant side effects and toxicities. PEP should only be prescribed for significant HIV exposures. The potential benefits of a course of PEP must always be weighed against the potential risks.

I would suggest you get an STD screen as well as a single HIV-antibody test (at the three-month mark). The statistical odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your night with porno-star-guy.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test is negative. I'm very confident it will indeed be negative.

Good luck. Be well.

RE:Plz reply before 72 hrs are over
Help Me