hiv positive (LIFE EXPECTANCY, 2011) (PROGNOSIS, 2011)

I just found out that I am hiv positive. I have not seen a doctor yet. I'm only 26 years old and I want to live more years. if I follow my doctors instructions and appointments and take my medication and stay healthy would I survive more years. How long

Hello.

Unfortunately I don't have an infallible crystal ball that predicts the future. The clinical course of HIV/AIDS varies from person to person. However, if you have access to HIV-knowledgable physicians (preferably an HIV specialist physician) and to antiretroviral medications, your prognosis is quite promising. I can't make precautions based on the information provided, as you report you have only recently found out you are HIV positive but we don't know how long you've been infected or the degree of damage to to immune system from untreated HIV disease. If you acquired the virus relatively recently, your immune system should still be in good shape, and this would improve your chances of dying of "old age" instead of "old AIDS"! Even if you've been infected for quite some time and your immune system has been damaged by HIV, you could still do very well and live a very long time, if you respond well to your medications and work closely with your HIV specialist. I'd suggest you peruse the wealth of information on this site, in the archives and on the related links. Start with the "Just Diagnosed Resource Center" that can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage. Also, see link below.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, okay? Also, if it's at all comforting to you, I've been HIV positive since January 1991 and I'm still here!!

Don't delay in establishing care with an HIV specialist physician.

Be well. Let's both be here for the cure.

HIV positive - question about life expectancy (LIFE EXPECTANCY, 2010) (PROGNOSIS, 2010)Apr 25, 2010

Please help - VERY VERY SCARED - DONATION $100
Too big for the condom?