Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No seroconversion fears
Aug 10, 2011

Dr.Bob,

I always wonder what it must be like having to answer questions such as mine of people who have unwarranted fears and constantly coming back to you and saying you are mistaken and I have to be positive. You sir are a wonderful person who gives hope to thousands of people who had nothing to worry about to begin with. I have donated before, and I do plan on donating again but I am afraid I have to waste your time.

Had a sexual encounter with a woman 3 years ago. We stayed together and I ended up contracting herpes and MC. Like any "reasonable" person does I completely blamed her threw a tantrum and left her. The time gets skewed in my head but I want to say it was 3 months maybe 2 months when I went for a second HIV test. The doctors did not think that it was warranted but obliged my request anyway. Anyway that test came back negative. I have never gone back for another based on the fact that the doctor seemed to think I was fine. Now we sit here over a year sense my last test.

Sense then I have been in a realtionship with one woman who has tested negative for all STD's but we only pratice safe sex. My mind gets the best of me at times and I start to feel weird, swear my lymphnodes are suddenly swelling up on me or that my herpes outbreaks are suddenly getting more numerous or lasting longer. My past partner always tested negative for HIV, but now I worry that I suddenly might be putting my current partner in danger by not waiting for that 3 month mark.

I hope I have given you enough information, I guess from all of this should I get another test because I cannot recall how long it really was before I took that last test? I was OK with my negative result but now I am starting to rack my brain over it again.

Thanks again, if I ever hit the lottery I will be sure to put your charity at number 1 =)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

Thanks for your kind comments and your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated.

I would agree with your self-assessment that "my mind gets the best of me at times...." Most likely your problem is not HIV but rather fear of HIV. However, as you are unsure if you had a definitive HIV-antibody test after your encounter three years ago, I'd recommend you get an HIV test now, if for nothing else but psychological peace of mind. Why continue to second guess the exact timing of your last test and allow your mind to continue to torment you when you take a rapid HIV test and have a definitive result within just a few minutes? I have no doubt the result will be negative and you'll be able to WOO-HOO with confident once and for all.

Thanks again for making The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation your number one charity if you ever hit the lottery! In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV-antibody test is negative and that you indeed do win the lottery!

Be well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
93 DAYS THAT FELT LIKE ETERNITY SOUTH OF THE BORDER
Next
Please help - VERY VERY SCARED - DONATION $100

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.