|Ars Symptoms straight into full blown AIDS?
Aug 9, 2011
Hi there, this is more of a quesiton out of curiosity, and a slight (most likely) irrational fear of mine.
my risk was unprotected oral (msm) me giving, no ejaculation, first sexual encounter. i am already aware of my negligible risk and have been advised not to test again after a 6 week negative 4th gen duo test.
my question to you is,
If someone truly had ARS symptoms, is it possible for them to then go straight into full blown AIDS after? i ask this because i have a pink patch of skin on my arm, (i think that was caused by a burn, my mum is adamant she saw the piping hot food land on that section, and that she flicked it off). My concern was that it was a kaposi's sarcoma patch, but i have read that this is a very late stage infection most identifiable with full blown AIDS.
also can kaposi's sarcoma patches peel off? I itched the ' burn' in the shower which removed some skin and left a raw patch of pink skin that scabbed over. the scab fell off about 3 weeks later, leaving a patch of shiny pink skin ( that still hasn't quite healed another 3 weeks later) Does this sound like a scar, or kaposi's sarcoma? it's been 10 weeks since my exposure. surely i haven't got full blown AIDS?!
| Response from Dr. Frascino
First off we no longer use the term "full blown AIDS," because in reality there is no such thing as "partially blown AIDS."
Briefly responding to your questions:
1. No. HIVers do not progress immediately from ARS to AIDS.
2. Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) lesions do not peel off. Your "pink patch" is not consistent with KS. It is worth noting that HIVers can develop KS at any point in their illness. The condition is often more severe, widespread and difficult to manage in the later stages of AIDS when the immune system is more deficient. See link below for more information on Kaposi's sarcoma.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blisters After Getting Scratched Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Mouth After Anal Sex Bottom Worried I Have HIV
- Red Eyes After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Receiving Head Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Chlamydia Effects In Men If Untreated
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.