RE: Possibility of transmission to others while on PEP

Hello Dr. Bob. First and foremost, thank you again for this great service you are making available. I feel much relieved on your response to my questions, specifically relating to the probability of hiv transmission to my wife.

I have followed your advice and have come clean with her and we are working through some questions as to why and how this could have happened. Your motivation was all I needed...thank you!

Just one last question...as this was the title of my previous question. That is, does PEP reduce the risk of transmission to others hypothetically assuming that I could have been exposed to a high viral load through the activity I mentioned in the previous post? Also taking into account that I have been on PEP for 15 days?

Regards Robert

Hello, Robert.

The purpose of PEP is to prevent or abort HIV infection following an exposure. If PEP is successful, you would not be infected and consequently would not be capable of transmitting something you don't have (HIV) to someone else. If PEP doesn't work (PEP failure), you would be infected and therefore capable of transmitting the infection to an uninfected partner.

You definitely made the correct and honorable decision in leveling with your wife.

Good luck. Be well.

Possibility of transmission to others while on PEP Aug 8, 2011

Acute HIV symptom
Rhyming Question, hope it gets your attention!!!!!!!!