Acute HIV symptom

Hello Dr. what you do as part of your foundation and this web site is something beyond words. You have the respect and good wishes of everyone who comes across your work. You give people hope, and the courage to confront their fears relating to HIV and AIDS. My question or concern is something more related to symptoms. My exposure was protected with a CSW months ago, and wanted to know if chronic sinusitis lasting for months is in anyway a symptom of acute HIV or something you would experience later on as an opportunistic infection. While i know symptoms are a poor way of diagnosis i just wanted to know for my own peace of mind while i wait on the 3 month mark to test. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Hi.

Thanks for your kind comments.

"Chronic" sinusitis would not be considered part of "acute" HIV by definition. One is "chronic" (long duration) and the other "acute" (rapid onset followed by a short but severe course).

Sinusitis per se is not considered one of the common symptoms associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). Those symptoms would include fever, swollen lymph nodes, pharyngitis, rash, muscle aches, diarrhea, headache, nausea and vomiting, etc.

Regarding your potential exposure, your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condoms were used properly and did not break.

Be well. Stay well.

HIV poz entry ban: REALLY WORRIED!!!
RE: Possibility of transmission to others while on PEP