Hepatitis A and B Test Results

Hey Doctor,

I know this is an HIV website but I see a lot on here about HIV/Hepatitis C co-infection so I'm taking a shot in the dark and seeing if maybe you can answer my question.

Every year when I get my yearly check-up I always asked to get tested for STI's. I always practice safe sex and just do this to be responsible on my part. This summer I was on an internship away from home, and got my check-up with a new doctor. When I got the results everything came back negative. However, the doctor informed me that being a gay male, that I should get the Hepatitis A and B vaccine because no anti-bodies had shown up in the test. But...I know I had gotten the vaccine when I was in Elementary school. They informed me that its not unusual for the vaccine to "not take" and that sometimes it doesn't work. Have you ever heard of this before? I plan on discussing this with my doctor when I return home, I'd assume it had never been caught before because my general doctor knew I had been vaccinated and never tested me before for A and B. I didn't even know this doctor was running those tests. Is it more likely they mixed up my results? I can't find any information regarding this anywhere else.

Thanks!

Hi.

The "new doctor" is correct! Hepatitis vaccinations sometimes fail to elicit the desired immune response. There are a number of reasons for this. It is not uncommon for folks to require a second round of hepatitis vaccinations. If it makes you feel any better, I had to be revaccinated twice before the vaccine kicked in!

hiv positive full body donation
HIV poz entry ban: REALLY WORRIED!!!