Chlamydia & HIV, really need your advice (Just donated!)

Hi Doc,

I hope you answer my question this time since it's my 3rd time asking it... lol :~) That said, I'd like to congratulate you for all of the great work that you do and I want you do realize that we can't appreciate it enough. To support what you do, I just donated. Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, it's nice to learn that we agree politically. :)

Well, almost 3 months ago, my one-time-only partner and I had unprotected mutual oral sex. We are both curious college guys. I was a complete virgin but he'd had three male partners before me -- he's an anal bottom. All we did was giving each other head and that was my first + most recent sex act w/ anyone, period. Neither of us ejaculated but my partner think he might've tasted/swallowed my pre-cum. Exactly a week later, scared to death, I called him up to get us tested and we got tested for HIV, syph., gono., chla., Hep B & C. All of our results came back negative *except* chlamydia was found in his rectum and both of us were given 4 pills of zithromax (azithromycin) right there on the spot. Even though I didn't do anal w/ him, I took the pills anyway as a preventive measure.

Now, here are my questions: 1. Was it a bad idea at all for me to just naively take those antibiotic pills?

2. I had a diarrhea (one of the common mild side effects) 2 hrs. after taking the pills. Do I need to repeat the dose or was 2 hrs. enough time for my body to absorb what it needed (?) ?

3. This upcoming Thursday will be my 3-month mark. Should I get re-tested for HIV and the five STDs? Why or why not?

4. If I tested negative for HIV this time around (3 mon. after), can I take that result as the final/conclusive one or is that too early to woo-hoo?

Thank you! And plz send me your good luck/karma my way!

Hi.

Third time must be a charm. Here's your response:

1. No. Chlamydia can be found in the throat as well as other areas. Consequently you very well could have been exposed.

2. No need to repeat the dose.

3. Unprotected oral sex carries only a very low HIV-transmission/acquisition risk. That your partner tested HIV-antibody negative one week after your encounter further reduces your already very low risk of acquiring HIV from this episode to the very remote possibility that your pal was only very recently infected and still within his seroconversion window (HIV infected but not yet making detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in the blood). Consequently your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low. If you want or need the reassurance of a definitive negative HIV-antibody test to put your worries to rest, get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. The statistical odds are astronomically in your favor that your did not contract HIV from this encounter. As for other STDs, it's not necessary to retest if you aren't having any symptoms.

4. A three-month negative HIV-antibody test would be conclusive, definitive and WOO-HOO-able.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive tests will be negative and that you will be forever free of HIV.

Good luck. Be well.

disease from my own sex toy
Pls doctor i need a professional assesment.