confusions after read your blog.

Hello Dr, I've read your blog about the "The Search for the Cure Heats Up! Part Three". I read you said "HIV cunningly infects certain cells of the immune system, which are very, very long-lived. These are a subset of so-called memory cells. but a small portion of these remarkable memory cells (maybe only one in a million) become dormant sleeper cells. These can remain "asleep" and quiescent for decades. The dormant memory cells that are infected with HIV constitute the "latent HIV reservoir.When these infected sleeper cells are awakened by a stimulus or immune challenge, they, too, become crazy HIV replication machines, spitting out new infectious HIV particles"

So here is my confusion,i heard that an hiv infected person would always test positive on antibody test,but if the infected person have all the virus which are in these latent HIV reservoirs and the resevoirs are sleeping , would the person still produce antibodies against hiv and test positive on hiv antibody test?

Hi.

Hopefully I can clear this point up for you very quickly. The HIV that infects memory cells is only an extremely small portion of the total amount of HIV in the body. I mention in the blog that only one in a million HIV-infected cells actually becomes a dormant sleeper cell. The remainder of the infected cells become viral replication factories pumping out new viral particles at a remarkable rate.

Magical disappearing symptoms...
Hope you don't think I am shady