Can high stress/anxiety affect HIV test results?
Aug 6, 2011
I have been reading a lot about the effects of stress on the immune system, and have a question. I have been in HIGH stress mode for the past 3 months since a low/no risk HIV exposure (mutual masturbation) -- have lost sleep, have all sorts of symptoms, etc. I took HIV antibody tests several times (2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks) and HIV-DNA PCR test at 7 weeks, and a Home Access HIV Test at 10 weeks. I am coming-up on 12 weeks, and am planning on one last test.
Question: Would high stress levels suppress the immune system in such a way that it would not create antibodies to HIV? And, yes, I have decided to seek counselling for this unusual event that has literally made me so scared.
Question 2: If the only exposure was mutual masturbation twice (once with only precum, and once where semen was on my body -- but not in it -- for a few seconds), should I really even take another test -- or should I trust the numerous ones I have had including the PCR one?
Thanks for answering this odd question...
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. If high stress levels caused false-negative HIV-antibody tests, the tests really wouldn't be worth much, because gazillions of folks have "high stress" for a whole host of reasons and are often off-the-chart stressed while getting HIV tested. Just peruse the archives and you'll soon notice the levels of anxiety and stress around HIV-testing is really quite phenomenal.
2. Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible at best. HIV testing was not warranted. You can consider your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to eight weeks plus your undetectable qualitative HIV PCR DNA to be definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Balls After Oral Sex Hooker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- How Long Does It Normally Take For Your Pap Smear Test Results Come Back?
- Vaginal Discharge Viral Infection Complications
- Can You Get Hiv From Sucking On A Womans Breasts?
- Deep Kissing And Sucking Neck Hiv Risk
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.