Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

REAL EMERGENCY!!!!!! HOURS COUNT!!! MINUTES COUNT!! PEP
Aug 6, 2011

I am an assistant of a dentist, today I went to the dental lab we have at our office. I started cuttimg the wax of a case we had seen a few weeks ago... The lab blade, had been changed that morning and is used for wax only. I KNICKED MYSELF!!!!!! before I started using it it was in a drawer. Later that day the other lab tech in the office told me that the day before an hiv denture case had been seen in the same table i was sitting when I knicked myself. I GOT PALE, NAUSEOUS.... my question is, if i placed that scalpel in that table, where the day before they had been working in something coming from an HIV patients mouth (not bloody) just saliva, but of course before coming to the lab we desinfect them with lysol... is there a chance it could have passed to my scalpel and then into me!!!! it was at least a 17 hr separation between the time they used that lab bench to work that case, and my stick!... I told everybody, and they told me not to be concerned... SHOULD I RUN AND GET PEP!???? PLEASE, I BEG YOU TO PLEASE ANSWER SOON... HOURS COUNT!!! MINUTES COUNT!!!! i have not seen my girl in months and she is coming into town, what should i do about sex!??

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

I agree with "everybody": no risk!

Should you run and get PEP? No, of course not! Frevinsakes! Remind me again exactly why you felt this was a "REAL EMERGENCY."

Dr. Bob

Previous
I will pray for you in Ramadan. Are these only coincidences?
Next
Long period of suffering

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.