What are my chances of seroconverting?

Hi Dr Bob, am very distressed. I had sex with a call girl in Kenya and the condom slipped out without our knowledge. We went the next day to a hospital and she was hiv +. I started PEP medication 18hrs after intercourse. What are the odds of me seroconverting in percentage? Am really worried and i regret my actions

Hi.

The CDC's estimated per-act statistical risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected (or condom-failure) insertive vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is 5 per 10,000 exposures. However, there are many variables that come into play that could influence HIV-transmission risk. For instance, that your call-girl didn't know she was positively charged means she wasn't on antiretroviral drugs. This could increase the risk of HIV transmission, because the HIV viral load could be very high in untreated HIVers. On the other hand, you started PEP within 18 hours, and this would significantly decrease HIV-transmission risk.

The only thing to do now is to adhere to your PEP regimen as prescribed and then get post-PEP HIV testing at four-to-six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure.

Good luck! I'm here if you need me, okay?

Another ARS Question...
Fasting Month for Muslim (FASTING FOR RAMADAN AND TAKING ANTIRETROVIRALS, 2011)