Very simple: 5% seroconverted after 6 months?

Doctor Bob, I have read about 3 or 4 sites 5% seroconverted after 6 months. Is that true? Now I'm lost. Thank you.

Hello.

Very simple question. Very simple answer: No! That is not true. Five percent of HIVers did not seroconvert after six months! Dude, think about this rationally for a moment. If you used the old and very conservative testing guidelines indicating six months is the seroconversion window period to get a definitive HIV-antibody test result, and if you believed that 5% of HIVers seroconvert after six months (as you read), that would mean the HIV test would miss one out of every 20 positive results (5%)! Obviously if that were true, no one would use the test! Missing one out of every 20 true HIV-positive testers would have catastrophic consequences.

So the old adage applies: "Don't believe everything you read...unless you read it on TheBody.com." (Okay, I made that last part up. But it's true.)

Be well.

Risk from Unbroken Condom and Harmonica-Style Oral
re: please help me (FLESHLIGHT FEARS, 2011)